Earning Your Cheat Meals

Standard

ImageI love food and I would live off pasta, sushi, and cheeseburgers if it didn’t impact the way my body feels. I posted earlier that I believe in eating clean, non processed foods 90% of the time. It is really hard work to earn my cheat food the other 10% of the time. Surviving the holidays is a difficult task for anyone and I struggle with continuing to eat clean. I am not a big sweets person but the drinks and appetizers kill me. I love sausage rolls, mini quiches and the cheese plates. I have been known to devour an entire meat and cheese platter to myself (insert blushing face here). However, after consuming mass quantities of the above mentioned foods, I beat myself up for over indulging. This holiday season will be different because I plan on taking care of my body and making sure to eat the things that make my body feel good. My plan of attack is to preplan my cheat meals. There are four holiday dinners in a row that I will be attending next week. I plan on allowing myself a glass of wine at each event and one cheat meal out of the four nights. Wish me luck, I know it will be a challenge.

Thursday night was my cheat meal for the week. I ate fried chicken and waffles for the first time and it was amazing. In preparation of my cheat meal, I hit the gym hard in the morning. This workout is great if you want to feel a burn in your legs. Adjust the weight that you use according to your level of fitness. This workout is a high rep/low weight workout. Check it out!

Lunges with a 40 pound barbell- 30 reps each leg x 3 sets

Squats with a 40 pound barbell- 30 reps each leg x 3 sets

Deadlifts with a 40 pound barbell- 30 reps each leg x 3 sets

Complete 30 lunges, 30 squats, 30 deadlifts and then rest for 2 minutes. This workout gets your heart rate way up. Finish your workout with 30 minutes of your choice in cardio. Enjoy the burn!

Mel here – I too, like Mo, am going to “try” and preplan my Christmas meal attack! I love salty foods, crackers, meats, nuts, cheese anything anything “finger food” doesnt stand a chance with me around. My goal this holiday season it to pack some healthier options with me to the different events so I can still have that cheese and meat but with some paleo crackers or cut up vegetables to dip . Every day that we have a big food event I will be working out, minimally cardio intervals as they get your metabolism revving! I joined Mo on her chicken and waffle feast last night. I went for a walk with my Mom during the day and eventhough I was a little low on energy I pounded out a back and abs workout in the afternoon before we went for dinner. It took me 45 minutes and I was pouring sweat, its an amazing accomplishment to be able to push yourself physcially, it always leaves a smile on my sadistic face. So as much as I intended to have a “cheat meal” my mind can’t wrap my head around the pain any wheat feast would have caused me – so instead of had a glass of red wine, a big steak and a couple of baked (with beer and cheese) oysters – felt pretty good after but undertandably so I was up on the scale this morning. Today at work I packed a light lunch and snack. I’m drinking lots of water and tea today and expect my bloat to return to normal tomorrow. As for the rest of this holiday season I will continue with my workouts, allow myself to indulge slightly within my healthy boundaries and keep an eye on the scale to keep me in check.

A classic and simple interval workout would look something like this:
Warm up for 5 minutes
– Set your bike or treadmill on a resistance or speed that is a little less than your max effort and give it your all for 30 seconds
– Then take the resistance down or step off the treadmill for 30 seconds and rest.
– Do this 20 times then make sure you stay on the machine until your heart rate has returned to normal
– Stretch!!!!!!!!
I like to do intervals in the morning on an empty stomach cause they are mindless but I find I have to pack a lot of healthy food for work after cause I feel hungry all day (something must be working)

PS If you are going to “sprintervals” on a treadmill simply put your feet on the sides of the treadmill during your rest period – if you are constantly trying to adjust the speed up and down you will get frustrated as its too slow to keep with the time frame – just hop off and let the treadmill run – and no the calories you burn will not be correct but you will be burning fat believe me!

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s