I found this wonderful recipe for shortbread and I decided to put my own twist on it. I am not a baker because I don’t particularly like following recipes. As previously stated, I am not a big sweets person but my husband requested some holiday baking. I don’t want to pack him full of processed sugars and other chemicals so I attempted these Paleo shortbread cookies.
The original recipe can be found at http://karolinaskitchen.com/2013/07/09/paleo-shortbread-cookies/ but here is my adaptation.
3/4 c + 1/2 c extra coconut flour
1/4 c arrowroot starch
1/2 c butter melted
1/8 tsp sea salt
5 tablespoons agave nectar- vanilla flavoured
1/4 c dark chocolate chips (optional)
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Combine all ingredients except chocolate and 1/2 c extra coconut flour in a mixing bowl. Mush up with a fork and add additional coconut flour until the mixture is crumbly. I found that I had to add about 1/4 cup of coconut flour because it was too wet.
3. Dust a clean, smooth surface with coconut flour. Press the crumbly mixture out with your fingers to make it smooth and somewhat flat. Dust with coconut flour.
4. Roll the dough to about 1/8-1/4 inch thickness using a rolling pin. Cut shapes out of the dough. Roll the scraps up into a ball and flatten to cut more shapes out.
5. Bake on a lightly greased cookie sheet for 15 minutes. Watch your cookies in the oven because mine should have been taken out at 12 minutes. Allow your cookies to cool.
6. Microwave the chocolate chips for 10 second intervals, stirring between intervals, until they are melted. Dunk your cookies in chocolate or drizzle with chocolate. If the chocolate is not very runny, add a tiny amount of coconut oil and stir.
7. Allow the cookies to cool in the fridge or freezer for a few minutes until the chocolate is set.
My husband really enjoyed them and liked the texture of the cookies. They are similar to traditional shortbread with a bit of a twist. Hope this helps with your holiday baking. Thanks again to http://karolinaskitchen.com/2013/07/09/paleo-shortbread-cookies/ for this great recipe!