Fall is an incredibly beautiful time of year. The leaves are falling, the air is crisp and it is time to break out the cozy clothes. Fall in the Lower Mainland also means that the sunshine has disappeared and the rain is coming down. It can be really hard to keep motivated this time of year when those cozy sweaters conceal a few extra pounds and anything covered in cheese is all I am craving. Luckily for me, I am headed to Brazil in January with one of my best friends to celebrate our 30th birthdays so I have the motivation of tiny bikinis and walking on the beach with some of the most beautiful women in the world… my friend and I want to look as best as we can to ring in our 30th birthdays so here are some of my tips to keep fit this fall/winter.
1. Get your family and friends involved: My sister loves to take on challenges. I texted her last night with a workout challenge to complete at some point over the weekend. My sister is a great motivator because we like to compete in a loving way… as you can see in our “real” family picture.
2. Get outside: Even though we have a ton of rain it is still important to get outside and enjoy some of the beauty that we are blessed with, the leaves and beautiful trees. Go hiking, walk the sea wall, go for a bike ride or a stroll on the beach when the tide is out. Remember a little rain never hurt anyone but dress accordingly. Remember you aren’t the Wicked Witch from the Wizard of Oz and you won’t melt in the rain.
3. Take a new class: My plan is to try out an interval class that my gym has. Have you wanted to try something new that you have been putting off? Fall is a great time to start! Call up a friend and have fun!
4. Dust off that clean-eating recipe book: Fall is the perfect time to try something new, bust out that slow cooker! Test out some new recipes and bring them to work to share with your co workers (If you work with me, this is directed towards you) Try to make your favourite comfort foods healthy. The internet is a great resource for recipes. One of our favourites is http://paleomg.com/
5. Taking vitamin D: I tend to struggle with my motivation during the fall and winter months due to a lack of sunshine so I will be taking a vitamin D supplement. What do you use to replace the sunshine?
What do you do to stay fit and healthy in the fall? What keeps you motivated? We want to hear from you!